Prior to the seventeenth century the Episcopalians in Mid-Ross worshipped in private houses, but from 1806 began to worship in the chapel in Castle Street Dingwall, and by 1851 had a congregation of about fifty people. The present church of St James’ was built in 1871 as the former one was burnt down when a flue set fire to a beam over the pulpit igniting the wooden roof. It was rebuilt as near to the original plan as possible, using designs by the architect Alexander Ross, who also was responsible for Inverness Cathedral, using stones gifted by Davidson of Tulloch.
By the end of the nineteenth century St James’ had a membership of ninety-three with forty-seven communicants. Our present membership is about two hundred.
By 1889, in the thriving Victorian spa of Strathpeffer it was apparent that in order to provide for the influx of workers and visitors a satellite church was needed. Fund-raising began immediately and by 1900 St Anne’s Church was built on land donated by Anne Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of Cromartie.
The bells at St Anne’s are a “carillon” comprising eight tubular bells struck by wooden headed hammers, and can be operated by one person. They were restored for the millennium by a member of the congregation.